Serves 8 (about $.90 per serving, including pasta)
Make ahead or while the Basic Egg Noodles are resting. This stores well in the refrigerator, too. I also use this in a Cheese Torta recipe.
• 3⁄4 cup oil-packed dried tomatoes
• 1⁄2 cup olive oil (reserve olive oil from tomatoes and add additional olive oil if needed)
• 8 cloves garlic
• 1⁄4 cup pine nuts or slivered almonds
• 1⁄4 cup snipped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
• 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
• 1 batch fresh Basic Egg Noodles
1. Drain tomatoes, reserving oil in a measuring cup. Add more olive oil for a total of 1⁄2 cup; set aside.
2. Combine drained tomatoes, garlic, pine nuts, basil and salt in a food processor bowl or blender; mix until finely chopped.
3. With machine running, gradually add oil until almost smooth, stopping to scrape the sides of bowl as needed.
4. Toss 1⁄3 of the mixture with hot Basic Egg Noodles, adding more if needed. Freeze remaining pesto in freezer containers with tight-fitting lids.
Donna Frawley, owner of Frawley’s Fine Herbary ( www.frawleysfineherbary.com ), has written two cookbooks: The Herbal Breads Cookbook (Frawley’s Fine Herbary, 1994) and The Edible Flowers Book (Frawley’s Fine Herbary, 2004).
Click here for the main article, Pasta Party: Make Homemade Pasta .