Serves 4 (about $1.50 per serving, including pasta)
I got this recipe from a customer who was buying fresh basil. I asked him what he was making and he shared his recipe; I made it my own by substituting lowfat cream cheese for heavy cream.
• 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 6 roma tomatoes, squeezed and chopped
• 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
• 4 ounces 1⁄3-less-fat cream cheese
• 6 to 9 basil leaves, chopped
• 1 batch fresh Basic Egg Noodles
1. Sauté garlic in olive oil. Add tomatoes (skins, seeds and all) and wine. Cook to reduce until sauce-type consistency.
2. Add cream cheese and stir until sauce is smooth.
3. Remove pan from heat and add basil. Serve immediately over hot pasta. I also like this sauce with dried, out-of-the-box bow ties.
Donna Frawley, owner of Frawley’s Fine Herbary ( www.frawleysfineherbary.com ), has written two cookbooks: The Herbal Breads Cookbook (Frawley’s Fine Herbary, 1994) and The Edible Flowers Book (Frawley’s Fine Herbary, 2004).
Click here for the main article, Pasta Party: Make Homemade Pasta .
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE