Makes 18 muffins
These lemon glazed poppy seed muffins are quick and easy to make for breakfast, lunch or snacks.
• 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
• 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 2 teaspoons reserved lemon zest
Poppy Seed Muffins
• Zest of 3 large lemons, finely chopped
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 2 tablespoons water
• 5 tablespoons butter
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 cup poppy seeds
• 2 eggs
• 3/4 cup lemon yogurt
• 3/4 cup milk
• 1/4 cup Lemon Glaze (see above)
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Butter muffin pans.
2. Combine the zest (reserving 2 teaspoons), 1/4 cup of the sugar, and the water in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes, or until the sugar dissolves. Add the butter and continue cooking until melted. Remove from the heat and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, poppy seeds, and the remaining sugar.
4. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, yogurt, milk and the lemon mixture until smooth. Add the flour mixture and stir until blended.
5. Fill muffin cups to within 1/4 inch of the top and bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove the tins from the oven and top the muffins with Lemon Glaze. Serve warm.
Click here for the original article, Make a Poppy Seed Dessert.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE