Where herbs and spices make a difference
Photo by Brian Landis/Courtesy of Flickr/http://www.flickr.com/photos/bdlandis/
Papa Dom’s Pizza Topping
Makes enough for 2 medium pizzas
Fr. Garramone, from the St. Bede Abbey, notes that this is great as an antipasto with crackers. For the best flavor, make it at least two hours before serving.
• 4 large plum tomatoes
• 1/4 cup chopped onion
• 4 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 tablespoon dried herb mix (recipe below)
• 8 Kalamata or other olives, pitted and chopped
• 3 tablespoons grated Asiago cheese
• 1/4 cup olive oil
1. Cut the top off the tomatoes. Squeeze out and discard the juice and seeds. Dice the pulp and place in a bowl.
2. Add the remaining ingredients, mixing well. Cover the mixture and refrigerate. Use as you would tomato sauce when making pizza.
Dried herb mix:
• 4 parts rosemary
• 2 parts thyme
• 4 parts basil
• 2 parts marjoram
• 4 parts parsley
• 1 part sage
1. Combine all the ingredients and store in an airtight container.
Back to In the Kitchen.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE