Be sure to use unsprayed flowers and buds in this lovely luncheon dish.
• 1 cup water
• 1 cup chicken broth
• Dash salt
• 1 cup rice
• 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
• 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
• 3 green onions, coarsely chopped
• 6–8 nearly open daylily buds
• 1 cup salad shrimp
• 1 teaspoon low-salt tamari sauce
• 1 tablespoon snipped dill
• 1 teaspoon each snipped parsley, lemon thyme, and sweet marjoram
• Daylily blossoms for garnish
1. In a pan, bring the water, broth, and salt to a boil. Add the rice and cook until tender; fluff with a fork. In a skillet, sauté the mushrooms in oil and add the almonds and green onions. Add the daylily buds, shrimp, and tamari sauce.
2. Cook until just heated through: daylilies should still be crisp. Stir in the herbs, then the rice, and mix well. Serve immediately on a platter garnished with daylily blossoms.
—Maggie Keeler, Charles Town, West Virginia
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE