Pizzelle are thin, crisp wafers made with a pizzelle iron, a device like a waffle iron that’s available in kitchen stores. Combine the sugar and lavender flowers a few days ahead for a strong lavender flavor and scent; store the mixture in an airtight container. Makes 2 to 3 dozen.
• 3/4 cup sugar
• 3 tablespoons dried lavender flowers
• 3 eggs, beaten
• 3/4 cup melted butter
• 1 1/2 to 2 cups flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 2 teaspoons vanilla
• Confectioners’ sugar to coat
1. Preheat the pizzelle iron.
2. Place the eggs, lavender sugar, butter, flour (1 1/2 cups for thin pizzelle, 2 cups for thicker ones), baking powder, and vanilla in a bowl. Stir until smooth. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto the pizzelle iron, following the manufacturer’s instructions for baking. Remove the baked pizzelle to a wire rack. Dust with confectioners’ sugar. Store in an airtight container.
3. Serve alone or with a scoop of lavender-flavored ice cream.
Laurel Keser, Lindenwold, New JerseyClick here for the main article, Kitchen Table: March 1998.