SERVES 3 to 4
This recipe was submitted by Diana Volpian of Surrey, British Columbia, Canada.
• 1 heaping cup finely chopped fennel bulb (finocchio)
• 1/2 cup grated carrot
• 2 medium leeks, chopped
• 1 clove garlic, chopped
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 vegetable bouillon cube
• 3 cups water
• 2 teaspoons butter
• 2 teaspoons flour
• 1 cup milk
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Sauté the fennel, carrot, leeks, and garlic in the oil, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, dissolve 1 vegetable cube in 3 cups boiling water.
2. Add the vegetables and simmer, covered, for 40 minutes.
3. In a small skillet, melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Gradually whisk in the milk and heat until smooth and boiling.
4. Whisk this mixture into the vegetable broth and simmer 5 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot, topped with grated cheddar cheese and finely chopped fennel tops.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE