William A. Price, Canfield, Ohio
A meat loaf with a difference!
• 1 pound ground lamb
• 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
•1/2 cup dates, chopped
• 1/3 cup blanched almonds, chopped
• 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
• 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seed
• 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 2 egg whites
• 1/2 cup apricot preserves
• 1/4 cup honey
• 1 teaspoon finely grated orange peel
• 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. 2. In a large bowl, combine the lamb, bread crumbs, dates, almonds, onion, coriander, cilantro, cinnamon, and egg whites. 3. Shape the mixture into an oval, place on a shallow baking pan, and bake for 1 hour. 4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the apricot preserves, honey, grated orange peel, and cloves. 5. Remove the meat loaf from the oven and drain off excess fat. Insert a meat thermometer into the center. 6. Spoon half the sauce over the loaf and return it to the oven. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes longer, or until the thermometer registers 160°F. 7. Transfer the loaf to a heated serving platter and let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with the remaining sauce.
Do you have a favorite previously unpublished recipe to share? Send it to “Kitchen Table”, c/o The Herb Companion, 201 East Fourth Street, Loveland, CO 80537-5655; fax (970) 669-6117; or e-mail HC@iwp.ccmail.compuserve.com. If we publish your recipe, you’ll receive a $50 check from The Herb Companion.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE