This is a spicy vegetable dish that’s great served with rice or pita bread. Serves 2 to 3 as a side dish.
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 tablespoon dried fenugreek
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon ground coriander
• 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
• 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 11/2 cups French-cut green beans cut into 1-inch pieces
• 1 tomato, quartered
• 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1. Heat oil in a wok or large pan. Fry onion until translucent. Add garlic followed by all the dry spices and cook for 2 or 3 minutes until spices are well browned. Add beans, tomato and some water and simmer. Add vinegar when beans start to get tender. Add a dash more dried fenugreek and cook for 5 minutes to let water evaporate.
2. Serve with rice or pita bread.
Antara B. Mitra is a freelance writer and independent radio producer living in Manlius, New York. She loves traveling and sampling new foods.
Click here for the main article, The Aroma of Indian Cuisine .
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE