This is fine picnic fare, but add the tomatoes at the last minute or you will have a soggy pita.
• 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/3 cup ricotta cheese
• 6 tablespoons (1 small package) cream cheese, softened
• 2 tablespoons butter, softened
• 1 bunch chervil, chopped
• 4 pitas
• 16 thin slices prosciutto
• 1 bunch arugula
• 2 large ripe tomatoes, sliced and salted to taste
1. Blend the garlic and ricotta in a food processor for 10 seconds. Cut the cream cheese and butter into quarters and add them one at a time, processing until blended. Add the chervil and process just until blended.
2. Spread some of the ricotta mixture in each pita pocket and fill with prosciutto, arugula, and tomatoes.
Culinary herbalist Debbie Whittaker writes and lectures on gourmet herbal cuisine from her home in Denver, Colorado.
Click here for the main article, Homemade Pita Recipes .