When Timothy Tucker finds cauliflower among his food donations, he turns it into this delicious and attractive dish. This recipe is great for large gatherings, but can be cut in half easily. Serves 12.
• 5 heads of cauliflower, cut into small florets
• 3 cups cooked rice
• 3 tablespoons minced garlic
• 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary
• 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
• 3 eggs
• 1 tablespoon salt or to taste
• 1 tablespoon pepper
• 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Rub an 18- by-12-by-2-inch baking dish with olive oil.
2. Blanch cauliflower by placing in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and immediately plunge into ice water. Drain well again.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine cauliflower and all other ingredients except cheese. Mix gently, but well. Transfer to prepared baking pan. Spread cheese evenly over top. Bake covered for 20 minutes. Remove cover and bake 10 minutes longer or until cauliflower is tender and cheese is melted.
An enthusiastic cook, freelance writer Suzanne Hall keeps her pantry stocked with fresh and dried herbs.
Click here for the main article, Here & There: Herb Garden Helps Feed the Poor .