Recipe adapted from Noel Richardson’s Summer Delights (Whitecap Books, 1986).
A combination of salty feta cheese and spicy oregano suits the mild taste of cod. Serve this with rice or boiled new potatoes.
• 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 4 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• 2 tablespoons drained capers
• 4 tablespoons oregano, finely chopped
• 1/3 cup parsley, finely chopped
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 2 pounds cod fillet
• 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
• Finely chopped parsley for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. 2. Sauté the onions and garlic in oil over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. 3. Reduce the heat to low, add the tomatoes, tomato paste, capers, oregano, 1/3 cup parsley, and pepper, and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. 4. Lay the cod in a buttered casserole. Pour the sauce over it. 5. Bake for 15 minutes. 6. Sprinkle the cod with the cheese and bake for 5 minutes longer or until the thickest part of the flesh is opaque when pierced with a sharp knife. Garnish with parsley.
Read the original article: Here and There: Culinary Herbs at the Ravenhill Herb Farm.
Bruce Burnett of Pender Island, British Columbia, is developing an organic herb farm while running a company that imports medicinal herbal creams from Germany.