Keep your cookie monsters happy with a good supply of (clockwise from the left) Lavender Cookies, Black Pepper Chocolate Balls, Coriander Date Cookies, and Saffron Cookies.
Makes about 3 dozen
Grandmother Reppert was a Schwenkfelder, a member of a group of religious dissidents who came to Penn’s Woods seeking the freedom to worship as they believed. Spending months in Holland awaiting passage, her family developed a taste for saffron. The Schwenkfelders tucked the precious bulbs into their steamer trunks, and when they arrived in Philadelphia in 1734, they planted them. Their saffron bed is still there.
• 1/4 teaspoon powdered saffron
• 1 tablespoon water
• 1 cup butter or margarine
• 3/4 cup sugar
• 1 egg
• 2 1/2 cups flour
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
1. In a small saucer, stir together the saffron and water and set aside. Cream the butter and sugar. Add the egg and saffron/water mixture and blend thoroughly. Sift the dry ingredients and stir into the creamed mixture. Chill the dough for 1 hour, or until it is firm enough to handle.
2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Roll the dough into balls the size of walnuts; flatten them with a cookie stamp or fork. Place the cookies on ungreased baking sheets and bake 7 to 10 minutes. Cool on racks.
Bertha Reppert and her family have been introducing other people to the pleasures of herbs for more than twenty-five years. All manner of herbal sweets and treats are standard fare at the family-owned Rosemary House in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, one of America’s oldest herb shops. Bertha is also an author and teacher of renown in the herb world. Her daughter Nancy owns Sweet Remembrances, a teahouse and catering service that specializes in herb cookery with edible flowers. Through countless garden parties, afternoon teas, and workshops, the Repperts have developed a large repertoire of special recipes, from which these cookie concoctions are drawn.
Click here for the main article, Herbs in the Cookie Jar .
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE