This easy breakfast treat is every bit as delicious as most pastries. It’s a good dish to cook for a crowd.
• 2 eggs
• 2 cups low-fat milk
• 1 1/2 cups instant oatmeal
• 1/2 cup unbleached flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, ginger, and turmeric
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
• 1/3 cup dried blueberries, sweetened cranberries, or cherries
• 1 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
• 1 can Bing cherries, drained
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Beat the eggs with the milk in a large bowl. Stir in the oatmeal.
3. Sift the remaining dry ingredients into the bowl and mix well.
4. Fold in the walnuts and dried fruit.
5. Pour into a well-greased, floured 9-by-9-inch bakingpan.
6. Bake on the middle rack for 40 minutes.
7. Slice and serve topped generously with yogurt and Bing cherries.
Click here for the original article, Herbs for Breakfast.
Debbie Whittaker is a Denver, Colorado, food writer and recipe developer.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE