From Cecilia Robbins, Virgina Beach, Virginia
Serves 8 to 12
For a lighter texture, fold two additional stiffly beaten egg whites into the egg mixture before baking.
• 6 eggs
• 2 cups skim milk
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, or
• 1 tablespoon dried
• 1 tablespoon snipped fresh rosemary leaves, or 1/2 tablespoon dried
• 1 teaspoon mustard powder
• 2 or 3 thick slices homemade oatmeal bread or day-old French or Italian bread, torn into chunks
• 1/2 pound crumbled ham sausage, cooked, drained, and rinsed briefly in a strainer under hot water
• 3/4 cup loosely packed sharp or extra-sharp grated cheese
1. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with the milk and seasonings. Place the bread chunks in a 9-by-13-inch ungreased casserole.
2. Top with the sausage and cheese. Pour the egg mixture over all.
3. You may prepare the casserole up to this point, then cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake it at 350°F for 40 minutes or until set in the center. Let stand 10 minutes, then cut in squares and serve.
Click here for the original article, 3 Unique Recipes.