Photography by Howard Lee Puckett
Makes 3 cups
Serve herb-infused oil as a tasty dip for crusty bread. Be creative when choosing herbs with which to infuse oil. Blend a combination of herbs or choose a single herb. Either way, you can enjoy the taste of flavored oils at a fraction of the specialty store price.
• ½ cup herbs; choose one or use a mixture of parsley, fresh basil, thyme and oregano
• 1 teaspoon lemon or orange zest
• 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
• 3 cups extra virgin olive oil
1. Place clean, dry herbs, zest and pepper in a sterilized 1-quart jar; set aside.
2. Heat oil just until warm; slowly pour warm oil over herbs. Allow to cool. Once cool, pour oil through a wire-mesh strainer, discarding solids.
3. Cover and store in refrigerator for 1 week. Discard after 1 week.
Patsy Bell Hobson is a freelance writer and avid gardener from Liberty, Missouri.
Click here for the main article, Herbal Butters and Oils .
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE