Herb lovers will find this herb cream cheese a versatile spread—it is good on sandwiches and crackers, great on baked potatoes, and when thinned with a little milk it can be used as a tasty dip.
This cheese is simple to make, less expensive than store-bought herb cheeses, and better-tasting.
In this recipe, I use the fresh herbs for a sprightly spread. This cheese is simple to make, less expensive than store-bought herb cheeses, and better-tasting. The touch of vinegar makes it less cloying by adding acidity. Herb lovers will find this a versatile spread—it is good on sandwiches and crackers, great on baked potatoes, and when thinned with a little milk it can be used as a tasty dip. My favorite use is on a sandwich of whole wheat sourdough baguette, liberally spread with this cream cheese, slices of summer-ripe tomatoes with salt and pepper, and a handful of arugula and/or baby lettuce—yum! HERB CREAM CHEESE RECIPE MAKES ABOUT 2 1/2 CUPS
• 1 pound cream cheese at room temperature
• 2 to 3 tablespoons half-and-half or milk
• 10 parsley sprigs, minced
• 4 or 5 marjoram sprigs, minced
• 4 or 5 fennel or dill sprigs, minced
• 4 or 5 savory sprigs, minced
• About 2 teaspoons fresh lavender flowers
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• About 1/4 teaspoon salt
• Pinch of cayenne pepper
• 1 teaspoon herb or white wine vinegar, optional
1. Cream the cheese, adding half-and-half or milk if the cheese is dry. Add herbs, garlic, salt, cayenne and vinegar, if desired. Blend well, cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Adjust the seasoning with more garlic or herbs, salt or cayenne pepper. The Herb Cream Cheese Recipe improves in flavor after a day and may be kept for 4 to 5 days tightly covered and refrigerated.
Susan Belsinger, a longtime contributor to The Herb Companion, co-wrote The Creative Herbal Home (Creative Printing, 2007).
Click here to read the main article, Create Your Own Herbal Blends.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE