A warm bowl of oats cooked in milk, cinnamon and saffron, bejewelled splendidly with almonds and cranberries, is reminiscent of childhood. When brought together with honey, cinnamon and saffron, each ambrosial mouthful abounds with an Eastern promise of great taste and health.
Excerpted from Indian Superfood: Superfood + Superspieces = Indian Superfood, by Gurpareet Bains, with permissions from Absolute Press (c) 2010. The following excerpt can be found on Page 27.
A warm bowl of oats cooked in milk, cinnamon and saffron, bejewelled splendidly with almonds and cranberries, is reminiscent of my childhood. Mum would give me a steaming bowlful which I would spoon down whilst swinging my legs in gay abandon. With every mouthful, the oats would magically hug my tummy from within and reassure me that everything would be OK. And, since oats help lower bad cholesterol and reduce blood sugar levels, whilst synchronously keeping the tummy feeling full for longer, there is definitely something comforting and dependable about this recipe. When brought together with honey, cinnamon and saffron, each ambrosial mouthful abounds with an Eastern promise of great taste and health. SERVES 3 TO 4.
• 5 ounces jumbo oats
• 30 fluid ounces semi-skimmed milk
• 2 to 4 tablespoons honey
• Large pinch of ground cinnamon
• Pinch of saffron
• Pinch of salt
• Small handful each of blanched almonds and dried cranberries
• Extra blanched almonds and dried cranberries, to serve
1. Add the oats to a deep, heavy-based saucepan and cook over a low-medium heat until the oats change to a slightly darker colour as they roast – this should take about 3–5 minutes. Remember to stir frequently.
2. Add all the remaining ingredients to the saucepan and mix well. Bring to the boil over a medium heat, then reduce to a gentle simmer and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and serve immediately, sprinkled with the extra almonds and dried cranberries.
ONE SERVING = 80%+ RDA antioxidants
ANTIBACTERIAL: cinnamon, saffron
ANTIFUNGAL: cinnamon, saffron
ANTI-INFLAMMATORY: cinnamon, saffron
Click here for the main article, From Our Bookshelf: Healthful Indian Breakfast Recipes.
Buy Indian Superfood: Superfood + Superspieces = Indian Superfood.
To learn more, visit www.indiansuperfood.com.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE