Makes 18 hors d’oeuvres
The cheese mixture may be prepared up to five days ahead, but because pears turn brown soon after cutting, the hors d’oeuvres should be served as soon after assembling them as possible.
• 1 to 3 ripe, firm pears, washed and dried
• Juice of 1 lemon in 1/2 cup water
• 1/4 pound Gorgonzola cheese
• 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
• Fresh chives for garnish
1. Cut the pears in half, core, and cut into lengthwise slices 1/3 inch thick. Place the slices in the lemon water to deter browning.
2. In a food processor, puree the cheese until smooth. Add the chopped chives and pulse until just mixed.
3. Drain the pear slices in a colander. Pat them with a tea towel. Top each slice with a teaspoon of cheese puree. Garnish with minced chives and serve immediately.
Sally King is a Virginia-based freelance writer whose USDA Zone 8 herb garden produces through Thanksgiving.
Click here for the original article, 8 Great Hor D'oeurve recipes.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE