Create a dish that looks elegant and tasty at the same time
Makes 30 hors d’oeuvres
The chicken may be grilled up to one hour ahead of time and held at room temperature. The sauce may be made a day or two in advance and refrigerated. Bring it to room temperature before serving.
• 2 pounds boneless chicken breasts (about 5 breast halves)
• Olive oil
• 1 large clove garlic, peeled
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
• 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro, washed and dried
• 1/2 cup very finely chopped fresh or canned tomatillos, husks removed
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 1/4 cup mayonnaise
• 1/4 fresh jalapeño pepper, stemmed, seeded, and finely minced
1. Cut each breast half into six lengthwise strips and thread each onto a bamboo skewer that has been soaked in water for about 30 minutes to keep it from burning.
2. Brush the chicken lightly with olive oil and grill over medium-hot coals (or broil about 6 inches from heat source), turning once or twice, for 5 minutes or until cooked through but not dry.
3. In a food processor, finely chop the garlic with the salt and pepper. Add the cilantro and process. Add the remaining ingredients except the jalapeño and process until just mixed. Stir in jalapeño.
4. To serve, arrange the skewered chicken on a platter with a bowl of the dipping sauce.
Sally King is a Virginia-based freelance writer whose USDA Zone 8 herb garden produces through Thanksgiving.
Click here for the original article, 8 Great Hor D'oeurve Recipes.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE