Makes 20 hors d’oeuvres
Salmon caviar, far less expensive than sturgeon caviar, is available in specialty food stores. You may mix the dry and the liquid ingredients for the blini separately in advance, then combine them just before cooking.
• 3/4 cup unbleached flour
• 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
• 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• Pinch of salt
• 1 large egg
• 2 cups whole milk
• 1 tablespoon butter, melted and cooled
• 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil mixed with 2 tablespoons melted butter for cooking blini
• 1/4 to 1/2 cup sour cream
• 1/4 to 1/2 cup salmon roe caviar
• Fresh chives for garnish
1. Combine the flours, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, beat the egg, milk, and 1 tablespoon melted butter. Stir in the chives. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and mix just until blended.
2. Heat a tablespoon or so of the oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Drop the batter by scant tablespoons (blini should be about 11/2 inches in diameter) and cook on each side until golden brown.
3. To serve, top each pancake with 1/2 teaspoon (or more) of sour cream and 1/2 teaspoon (or more) caviar. Garnish with fresh chives. Serve immediately.
Sally King is a Virginia-based freelance writer whose USDA Zone 8 herb garden produces through Thanksgiving.
Click here for the original article, 8 Great Hor D'oeurve Recipes.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE