Capture the flavor of a Scandinavian Christmas with the rich taste of Glogg and Kaffekage.
Makes 20 four-ounce servings
Hot, spiced wine punch is a Christmas tradition in Scandinavian countries.
• 30 to 40 whole cloves
• 1 orange
• 20 whole green or white cardamom pods
• 2 bottles (1.5 liters) red wine
• 24 sugar cubes, or 1 pound loaf sugar
• 1 bottle (750 ml) aquavit or vodka
• 20 blanched almonds
• 1 cup raisins
1. Stick the cloves in the orange and place it in a 4-quart or larger saucepan. Crack open the cardamom pods, discard the husks, and place the seeds in the pan. Pour in the wine and heat it to a simmer. Don’t let it boil.
2. Place the sugar cubes in the center of a large punch bowl and pour the aquavit over them. Dip out a little of the aquavit into a ladle and carefully ignite it. Pour the flaming aquavit over the sugar/aquavit mixture in the bowl. Let it burn briefly, then pour the hot spiced wine, including the orange, into the bowl. Serve immediately with an almond and a few raisins in each cup.
Cornelia Carlson exercises her passion for growing tropical spices in her San Diego–area home. She has a Ph.D. in biochemistry and is the author of The Practically Meatless Gourmet (Prima, 1996).
Click here for the original article, Recipes with Cardamom.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, hands-on workshops, and great food!LEARN MORE