Ginger Tofu Salad
Serves 6 to 8
This delicious spread, an egg-salad alternative, is rich in soy protein (from the tofu) and B vitamins (from the nutritional yeast). Avocado provides vitamin E and healthy fats, and ginger imparts a zesty, unique flavor that even picky eaters love. The salad tastes best served with whole-wheat crackers and vegetable sticks. Special thanks to Beth Baugh for her permission to run this recipe.
- 1 pound firm tofu
- 2 medium avocados, peeled
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 4 tablespoons fresh gingerroot, grated
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- Rinse the tofu and shake it to remove excess water. Place it in a flat-bottomed bowl along with the avocados and the lemon juice. Using a potato masher or large fork, mash the tofu-and-avocado mixture until there are no large lumps.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the tofu-avocado mixture and mash well. Chill the salad in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, then serve with crackers and vegetable sticks, or inside pita bread.