If your bakeware doesn’t include a popover tin, we urge you to buy one, or substitute individual glass custard cups. Popover batter takes only three minutes or so to mix. Here’s a flavor combination that we love.
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 cup diced white cheddar cheese
- Unsalted butter
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Pour the milk into a medium bowl and whisk in the flour and salt; do not overbeat. Blend in the eggs one at a time. Mix in the sage and cheese.
2. Rub the popover cups generously with butter. Pour the batter into the tin, filling each cup three-quarters full.
3. Bake for 20 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 325°F, and continue baking for 15 minutes longer, or until the popovers are golden brown. Serve immediately.
Per serving: calories, 204; fat, 7 g; cholesterol, 124 mg; sodium, 310 mg
Click here for the original article, Garden Hard, Eat Hearty: Burning Calories While Gardening .