These barbecue recipes will have your mouth watering before you even fire up the grill.
Makes 1 cup
Any combination of herbs, minced fruit or vegetables, extracts, and spices may be mixed with citrus juices, soy sauce, wine, or vinegar for steeping or marinating grill-bound food. Kiwi and papaya have enzymes that break down proteins, making them useful in tenderizing tougher cuts of beef.
• 2 kiwi fruit, peeled and mashed
• 1/4 cup soy sauce
• 1/2 cup orange juice
• Juice of 1 lime
• 3 tablespoons minced onion
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh lemon balm
1. Combine all of the ingredients to form a smooth marinade.
2. Pour over meat or vegetable strips and refrigerate for 4 to 8 hours.
Click here for the main article, Fire and Smoke.
Pat Crocker, home economist and culinary herbalist, photographs, lectures, and writes about food and herbs. Author of three cookbooks, including The Healing Herbs Cookbook (Robert Rose, 1999) and The Juicing Bible (Robert Rose, 2000), Pat enjoys grilling with her family every summer.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE