This quick recipe is elegant and flavorful enough to serve to company. This requires four 8-inch square pieces of parchment paper and butcher’s twine. SERVES 4
• 4 red snapper fillets, 6-ounces each
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• Salt, to taste
• Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• 2 lemons, thinly sliced
• 1 tablespoon minced chervil
• 1 tablespoon minced parsley
• 1 tablespoon minced tarragon
• 1 tablespoon minced chives
• 2 tablespoons white wine, divided
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Rub fish fillets with oil, salt and pepper.
2. Place one piece of parchment paper on baking tray. Place 2 or 3 lemon slices on bottom half of the paper. Combine herbs and sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon over lemon slices. Place fish on top, sprinkled with another 1/2 tablespoon of herbs. Cover with 2 or 3 more lemon slices and 1/2 tablespoon of wine.
3. Fold top half of paper over fish and fold edges over each other lengthwise and at each end, closing edges tightly. Make sure there are no openings. Secure with butcher’s twine. Repeat with remaining fillets.
4. Bake for 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily with fork.
Leda Meredith teaches both gardening and botany classes in New York, specializing in edible and medicinal plants.
Click here for the main article, Fines Herbes: A Fresh Look at a Classic Combination .
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE