Makes about 4 dozen cookies
Win your Valentine’s heart with the subtle licorice-orange flavor of these sugar cookies.
• 2 cups sugar, divided
• 2 teaspoons fennel seed
• 1 cup butter, softened
• 2 eggs
• 1 tablespoon orange juice
• 1 tablespoon water
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 4 cups flour
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a blender, briefly whirl together 1 cup sugar and the fennel seed to break up some of the seeds. In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly cream together the blended fennel-sugar, the remaining cup of sugar and the butter. Add the eggs, orange juice, water and vanilla, and mix briefly.
2. In another bowl, mix the baking powder, salt and flour. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed ingredients and mix well. The dough will be stiff.
3. Divide the dough into four pieces and form each into a flattened ball. On a floured surface, roll each ball 1/4- inch thick and cut out shapes. Place them on greased or nonstick baking sheets and bake about 8 minutes, or until the cookies are light brown.
—Margaret “Taffy” Hill, Louisville, Kentucky
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE