The combination of tangy rhubarb and creamy cake creates a sensational ending for a spring brunch.
Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake
Serves 8 to 9
Though it’s fine leftover, this cake tastes best fresh out of the oven while the rhubarb is still warm.
2 cups rhubarb (about 5 medium stalks), cut into 1/2-inch slices
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F.
2. In an 8-inch square or 9-inch round cake pan, toss rhubarb and 1/2 cup sugar and spread evenly. Drizzle cream over rhubarb.
3. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, blend butter and remaining sugar. Add egg, milk, vanilla and lemon zest; cream until light and fluffy. Stir in flour mixture until just combined.
5. Pour cake batter over rhubarb mixture. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted through cake (but not rhubarb) comes out clean.
6. Cool cake 10 minutes on a wire rack, then turn it onto a serving plate so the rhubarb is on top. Serve warm.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE