Lessen your meal's carbon footprint with locally souced meat and dairy proudcts, featured in this recipe for lamb ravioli.
Finding meat from a local provider lessens your meal's carbon footprint. This Lamb Ravioli in Broth features ingredients available from your area dairy.
Photo By Joe Lavine
Lamb Ravioli in Broth
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 whole eggs
1 egg yolk
1/2 tablespoon water
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1. Make a mound of flour with a well in the center. Sprinkle salt over flour.
2. Add eggs, yolk, water and oil to well. Using a fork, incorporate eggs and liquid in a circular motion, pulling in small amounts of flour until dough becomes stiff.
3. Knead dough, adding flour as necessary to prevent sticking, until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
4. Wrap in plastic and let sit for 30 minutes.
5. After dough rests, roll out and cut into 2 1/2-inch circles.
1 leg of lamb
1/2 quart chopped onions, carrots and celery in 2:1:1 proportion
Red wine (enough to 3/4 cover meat)
1 sprig rosemary
5 garlic cloves
1 gallon demi (beef stock reduced by half)
1. Season and sear lamb leg in a rondeau (shallow, wide-bottomed) pan.
2. Add onion-carrot-celery mix, red wine, rosemary and garlic cloves.
3. Reduce wine until thick and syrupy.
4. Add demi. Cover and simmer on medium-low heat until lamb falls off bone.
1. Strain remaining braising liquid. Pour strained liquid back into pan, then reduce slightly and season with salt and pepper.
Meat from braised lamb, finely chopped
1 cup Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
1 cup hard goat cheese, grated
1. Combine meat, eggs, Parmesan, salt and pepper. Add goat cheese and mix thoroughly.
2. Roll into 1/2-ounce balls.
3. Place ball in middle of ravioli circle. Place another circle on top. Use small amount of water to make ravioli edges stick together.
4. Cook in boiling water until raviolis float.
To plate: Place several ravioli in a shallow bowl. Ladle broth over ravioli.
For more recipes, read the original article, "An Earth Celebration Menu: 3 Low-Carbon Recipes for Eating Local."
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE