Among the most healthful of fresh fruits, cranberries add extra health benefits to these Cranberry-Cornmeal Muffins.
Cranberries add a burst of color and flavor to these cornmeal-infused muffins. MAKES 12 CRANBERRY-CORNMEAL MUFFINS
• 1 cup unbleached flour
• 1 cup cornmeal
• 1 cup turbinado sugar
• 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange rind
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 cup dried cranberries
• 1 egg
• 1/4 cup canola oil
• 1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar, flaxseed meal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, orange rind and cinnamon until thoroughly combined. Add dried cranberries and stir until well distributed.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together egg, oil and buttermilk. Gently fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients just until combined. Do not overmix. Let batter sit for 15 to 30 minutes.
3. Coat muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray and fill about two-thirds full with batter. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Turn out Cranberry-Cornmeal Muffins onto a wire rack to cool.
Kris Wetherbee is a freelance writer and frequent contributor. She lives in the hills of western Oregon with her photographer husband, Rick Wetherbee. Visit her website at Rick & Kris Wetherbee.
Click here for the main article, Health Benefits of Berries.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE