Eat nutritious, protein-packed quinoa for breakfast with this simple pancake recipe.
• 2 1/2 cups unbleached flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 2 eggs, separated
• 1/4 cup sweet almond or other mild-flavored vegetable oil
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 2 1/2 cups milk
• 1 cup cooked quinoa
• Yogurt and fruit, if desired
1. In a 1-quart bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. 2. In a small bowl, whisk the egg whites until frothy. 3. In a 2-quart bowl, stir together the egg yolks, oil, and honey; then mix in the milk. 4. Add the dry ingredients to the milk mixture and stir quickly, just enough to moisten the flour. The batter should be lumpy. 5. Gently mix in the quinoa and fold in the egg whites. (This batter can rest in the refrigerator for several hours, or overnight, before using.) 6. When ready to serve, heat a large, seasoned skillet. Spoon batter in 4-inch rounds. 7. Flip the cakes once when bubbles appear all over the surface; cook until lightly browned. Top with yogurt and fruit if desired.
Read the main article, Cooking with Quinoa: 5 Easy Recipes to learn about quinoa and find more recipes.
Debbie Whittaker, also known as the Herb Gourmet, is a culinary herbalist in Denver, Colorado.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE