This colorful salad goes well with grilled vegetable or swordfish kabobs.
• 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• 3 tablespoons sugar
• 3 scallions, sliced
• 4 cups water
• 1 1/2 pounds fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
• 2 medium cucumbers, chopped into bite-sized pieces
• 2 carrots, peeled and grated
• 2 cups peeled and grated jicama
• 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
• 2 teaspoons semisweet or hot Hungarian paprika
1. In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, salt, garlic, sugar, and scallions. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the shrimp and simmer 4 to 5 minutes, or until tender, bright pink, and curled tightly. Drain well. Cool slightly.
3. In a large bowl, combine the shrimp, cucumbers, carrots, and jicama. Pour the lemon juice mixture over the shrimp and vegetables, add the cilantro, and mix gently. Sprinkle with paprika and serve.
Judy Monroe is a St. Paul, Minnesota-based freelance writer on a variety of health- and food-related topics. She has written fourteen books for children, teens, and adults, including three cookbooks.
Click here for the main article, Cooking with Paprika .
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE