Makes 3 to 4 dozen wafers
Try these crunchy little gems with a cup of strong tea or glass of Chardonnay.
• 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried lavender flowers
• 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 2 tablespoons butter, softened
• 1/2 cup white wine
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl, combine the lavender flowers, orange zest, flour, salt, and baking powder. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Stir and add wine, a tablespoon or two at a time, until the dough forms a ball.
3. On a floured pastry board, roll the dough into a rectangle 1/8 inch thick. Fold in thirds; roll again. Repeat, rolling somewhat thinner this time.
4. With a sharp knife, cut the dough into squares or other shapes. Place the pieces on an ungreased baking sheet. Prick each one two or three times with a fork.
5. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to a rack to cool.
Click here for the main article, Cooking with Lavender .