Dill, the premier flavoring for beets, adds distinction to this refreshing summer soup.
• 1/2 lemon
• 1 pound fresh beets without tops, scrubbed
• 4 cups homemade chicken or beef stock
• 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill weed
• 1/2 cup sour cream (nonfat or regular)
• Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
• 4 small sprigs fresh dill weed for garnish
1. Squeeze about 1 tablespoon lemon juice and reserve. Peel and quarter the beets and simmer them in the stock with the juiced lemon half for 20 to 35 minutes, or until the beets are tender. Discard the lemon.
2. Let the beets cool slightly, then process in batches in a blender with stock as needed to make 41/2 cups. Add the dill weed and the sour cream. Season to taste with the reserved lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Chill. Serve very cold in individual bowls garnished with the dill sprigs.
Cornelia Carlson grows herbs in Valley Center, California, and is the author of The Practically Meatless Gourmet (Berkley Books, 1996).
Click here for the main article, Casual, Carefree Dill .
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE