Savor brioche buns a second time with sweet preserved cherries and fluffy and light whipped cream.
Spoon cherries, syrup and whipped cream over day-old brioche to make a delectable dessert.
Brioche buns are often left over after a dinner party or holiday gathering. Sometimes we put them in the freezer, or put them in the bread box and simply forget to use them up. This recipe puts leftover brioche buns to good use and takes full advantage of their subtle sweetness. Feel free to use homemade preserved cherries. Specialty kitchen and gourmet stores carry imported brands such as Amarena Fabbri Italian Cherries, which are delicious and can also be used on top of ice cream. SERVES 6
• 1 pint heavy whipping cream
• 2 sprigs rosemary, rinsed and dried
• 6 brioche buns
• 1 tablespoon butter, melted
• 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
• 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
• Preserved cherries
1. Place cream and rosemary in a saucepan. Over low heat, slowly bring cream to a simmer, stirring occasionally so cream doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. Allow to barely simmer for 15 minutes. Remove pan from heat; strain cream into a bowl, discard rosemary and cool. Once cool, cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Cream can be prepared the day before. Keep chilled until ready to whip.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Split brioche buns in half and place on a cookie sheet. Brush each half with butter and sprinkle brown sugar on top. Place in oven and toast bread until sugar has melted and begins to caramelize but not burn, about 7 minutes.
3. Remove cream from fridge and whip until soft peaks begin to form. Slowly add powdered sugar and continue to whip until firm peaks form; do not overwhip.
4. To serve, place bottom half of brioche on a plate, spoon enough cherries and syrup to cover bread, and add a dollop of whipped cream on top. Place top half of brioche at an angle so that it rests on the side of the bottom and filling. Garnish brioche bun with additional cherries and a small rosemary sprig.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE