Makes about 2
Cilantro replaces parsley—and green squash seeds replace pine nuts—to give this pesto sauce a Texas tang.
• 2 tablespoons green squash seeds
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1 clove garlic
• 2 cups cilantro leaves, packed
• 1/2 cup olive oil
• 2 tablespoons grated cotija or Romano cheese
• 1 tablespoon crema agria, or 1 tablespoon crème fraîche, or 1/2 tablespoon yogurt and 1/2 tablespoon sour cream mixed until smooth
1. Pulse the squash seeds and salt in a food processor until powdered. Add the garlic and cilantro; pulse. With the processor running, drizzle in the olive oil.
2. Pour the cilantro mixture into a mixing bowl. Stir in the cheese and crema agria until smooth. Serve over pasta or gnocchi.
—Bill Moran, San Diego, Texas
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE