If you use a nonstick skillet for these blueberry buckwheat pancakes, reduce the oil to 1 tablespoon.
- ¾ cup flour
- ¾ cup buckwheat flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 to 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1½ cups buttermilk (1 percent fat)
- ¼ cup minced fresh ginger root or 1 tablespoon ginger powder
- Blueberry syrup topping
- Sift the flours, baking powder, soda and salt into a mixing bowl. Make a well in the center and add the remaining ingredients in order, using 1 tablespoon of oil. Stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Heat half of the remaining tablespoon of oil in a heavy skillet (or use a nonstick pan with no oil) over a medium flame. Spoon about 1/8 of the batter into the pan for each pancake. Cook until the bottom is golden.
- Flip and cook the opposite side. Remove and place on a warm platter; repeat with the remaining batter.
Nutritional contents per 2-pancake serving: Calories 253; Total fat 6.6 g; Saturated fat 1.6 g; Cholesterol 360 mg; Sodium 531 mg; Total carbohydrate 41 g; Protein 9 g.
Cornelia Carlson holds a doctorate in biochemistry and is an avid grower and user of herbs. She is the author of The Practically Meatless Gourmet (Berkley, 1996). She writes from her home in Tucson, Arizona.
Click here for the original article, Best Whole Foods Breakfast.