Blackened catfish, fresh greens and grilled green onion mayonnaise combine for a perfect summer meal in this Blackened Fish Po’ Boy recipe.
U.S.-sourced farm-raised catfish is available year-round and holds together well on the grill. You can also use any other medium-texured, sustainably sourced fish such as haddock or wild-caught Alaskan halibut.
Four 6- to 8-ounce farm-raised catfish or other fish fillets
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon Red Hot Blackened Seasoning1 recipe Grilled Green Onion Mayonnaise (recipe follows)
Four 6-inch baguettes or two longer ones, cut in half lengthwise
2 cups chopped arugula or mesclun greens
1. Prepare a hot fire in grill. Rinse catfish fillets and pat dry. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with Red Hot Blackened Seasoning.
2. Grill catfish for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, flipping once. Transfer grilled catfish to a flat surface and cut fish into chunks with a fork.
3. To serve, spread some Grilled Green Onion Mayonnaise on cut sides of each baguette. Sprinkle 1/2 cup arugula on each piece, followed by fish. Serve immediately with a wedge of lemon. Serves 4.
8 green onions, scallions or small bulb onions
Olive oil, for brushing
Salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
1. Prepare a medium-hot fire in grill. Place a perforated grill rack over grill grate. Brush onions with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
2. Place onions on rack and grill, turning every minute or so, until they get grill marks. Let cool.
3. Chop onions and combine with mayo, basil, and lemon zest and juice until well blended. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate up to three days. Makes about 2/3 cup.
Selecting safe and sustainable seafood can be a challenge. For sustainable seafood options, check out the Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch program.
Recipe adapted from The Gardener and The Grill by Karen Adler and Judith Fertig.
For more recipes from this book, read the original article, "Summer Recipes for the Grill."
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE