You can use three cups of any berries, but the combination of blueberries, blackberries and strawberries makes a unique jam. Makes 7 cups.
• 1 pint blueberries
• 1 pint blackberries
• 1 pint strawberries
• 5 cups sugar (no substitutes, do not decrease)
• 1 box pectin
• 1 cup water
1. Puree berries in a blender or food processor, leaving a few chunks for texture. Strain through cheesecloth to remove seeds, if desired.
2. Measure 3 cups of the blended berries and combine in a large bowl with the sugar. Mix well and let sit 10 to 15 minutes.
3. In a saucepan, bring pectin and water to a boil for 1 minute, stirring continuously.
4. Pour pectin water into berry mix and stir until sugar dissolves—2 to 5 minutes.
5. Pour into clean jelly jars that hold no more than 1 cup, leaving half an inch of space at top; cover.
6. Allow to sit at room temperature for 24 hours, then freeze for storage or keep in the refrigerator.
Tammie Painter guards her herbs and other favorite plants from the slugs in her Milwaukie, Oregon, garden. She wins, most of the time.
Click here for the main article, Berries For Health: 3 Summertime Treats .
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE