Spread the garden’s flavor with herbal butters .
This recipe will get you started. Try any of your favorite culinary herbs individually or in combination to make up the 1/4 cup of chopped herbs.
• 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
• 1/4 cup freshly chopped herbs
• 1/2 teaspoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice
• Pinch of salt and pepper (optional)
• 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic, scallions or shallots (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
2. Store in refrigerator and use within 2 weeks or freeze up to 5 months.
Theresa Loe is always creating new herbal recipes and crafts for her annual calendar, The Herbal Calendar (Tide-Mark Press). It is illustrated by Peggy Turchette, who also illustrated this column. You can link to Theresa's website at the Friends of The Herb Companion page on our website, www.herbcompanion.com/contributors.aspx.ol
Click here for the main article, Herbs in the Pantry: Herbal Butters.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE