Try this arugula and Asian greens salad blend with our warm bacon dressing. It’s richer in flavor than any traditional garden salad.
Be sure to harvest or purchase arugula leaves while young for the best flavor, as older leaves can become quite bitter.
Photo by eskymaks
This tasty blend takes the lead over traditional spinach salad with warm bacon dressing. Asian greens Mizuna or Komatsuna work well with this recipe, though any Asian greens will do. Be sure to harvest or purchase arugula leaves while young for the best flavor, as older leaves can become quite bitter. ARUGULA AND ASIAN GREENS SALAD SERVES 4
• 1 large bunch Asian greens (about 1 pound)
• 2 cups arugula (about 3 to 4 ounces)
• 4 slices bacon or turkey bacon
• 1 tablespoon reserved bacon drippings
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 8 ounces shiitake or cremini mushrooms, sliced
• 4 green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 2 teaspoons sugar
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper or lemon-pepper seasoning, to taste
• 1/3 cup sliced almonds
• 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
1. Wash and trim Asian greens and arugula, if needed, then transfer to a serving bowl and set aside.
2. Cook bacon slices in a large skillet until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet. Let bacon cool slightly, then roughly chop or crumble and set aside.
3. To make the dressing, heat reserved bacon drippings along with olive oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and green onions and sauté for several minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and sauté for about 2 minutes more or until the green onions have softened. Mix in vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper, stirring until heated through. Stir in cooked bacon; remove from heat.
4. Pour bacon dressing over salad, tossing greens until coated. Sprinkle with almonds and feta cheese. Serve Arugula and Asian Greens Salad immediately.
Kris Wetherbee is a contributing editor who lives and tends her herbs in western Oregon.
Click here for the main article, Healthy and Delicious Spring Greens.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE