These apricot pork chops get raves at company dinners. I sometimes substitute chicken breasts for the pork chops. Serve with rice and a green vegetable.
- 6 loin pork chops
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
cup chopped onion
cup sliced mushrooms
cup chopped celery
cup chopped green pepper
- 1 to 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons flour
teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped lovage
- 1 can halved apricots, drained and liquid reserved
- Sprigs of lovage for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Remove the bones and fat from the chops and flatten slightly. In a skillet, brown the chops on both sides in half the butter. Season lightly with salt and pepper and transfer to a shallow baking dish.
- Sauté the onion, mushrooms, celery and green pepper in the remaining butter. Stir in the curry powder and sauté a minute or two longer.
- Blend in the flour, then add the mustard, lovage, milk, and
cup reserved apricot juice. Heat, stirring, until the sauce is smooth, then pour it over the meat and bake, covered, for 30 to 35 minutes.
- To serve, transfer the chops and sauce to a serving dish and arrange the drained apricot halves in a ring on top. Garnish with sprigs of lovage.
—Barbara MacPherson, Nakusp, British Columbia, Canada