Many casseroles, soups and pasta dishes rely on a white sauce to bind all of the ingredients. Here is an easy basic vegan white sauce to have in your recipe toolbox. MAKES 2 CUPS
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1/2 onion, finely chopped
• 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
• 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
• 1 roasted eggplant, peeled
• 1 roasted head garlic
• 1 1/2 cups rice milk
1. In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add parsley and garlic and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let cool slightly.
2. In a blender, combine the rice milk, onion mixture, roasted eggplant and roasted garlic. Process until liquefied. Use immediately or cover tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Author of 12 cookbooks including her latest, Everyday Flexitarian (Whitecap Books, 2011), Pat Crocker is a culinary herbalist and green cook.
Click here for the main article, A Plate Full of Veggies.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE