For a refreshing summer salad, add lavender to a chicken marinade and combine it with kiwi in a vinaigrette splash for a meal you won’t soon forget.
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
• 2 tablespoons fresh lavender buds
• 2 fresh kiwi fruit, peeled and mashed
• 1 cup orange juice
• 4 chicken breasts
• 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
• 1/2 cup olive oil
• 4 cups mixed salad greens
• Salt, to taste
1. In a small skillet, heat the 2 tablespoons oil; add the onion and cook over medium-low heat until very soft, about 15 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and spoon into a large, shallow baking dish. Stir in the lavender, kiwi, and orange juice; whisk to combine.
3. Lay chicken breasts in marinade, cover, and set aside in refrigerator for 3 to 4 hours, turning occasionally.
4. Lift chicken breasts from the marinade and place them in a lightly oiled baking pan. Cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 45 to 50 minutes, or until juices run clear and chicken is cooked through.
5. Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature. Slice into strips.
6. To make the dressing, bring the orange-lavender-kiwi marinade to a boil in a small saucepan; reduce the heat and simmer until reduced to about 1/2 cup.
7. Strain into a small bowl, discarding solids. Whisk in the lime juice and 1/2 cup olive oil, season with salt, and set aside to cool to room temperature.
8. At serving time, place 1 cup salad greens in each of four salad bowls. Top with sliced cooked chicken and drizzle with lavender dressing.
Click here for the original article, 8 Lovely Lavender Recipes .