Serves 4 to 6
This new twist on an old favorite may make you want to keep all of this bread pudding for yourself. As it is easy to make, there’ll be plenty for all—so share.
• 1 cup heavy cream or buttermilk
• 2 teaspoons fresh lavender buds
• 8 slices white bread, crusts trimmed
• 1/4 cup butter (at room temperature)
• 1/4 cup apricot jam or marmalade
• 1/4 cup seedless raisins
• 2 eggs
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1/2 cup milk
• 2 teaspoons vanilla
• 1/4 cup powdered sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon dried lavender buds, crushed to a powder
1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat the cream until bubbles form around the outside of the pan. Remove from the heat and stir in the lavender; set aside to cool.
2. Grease an 8- by 12-inch baking dish and preheat the oven to 350°F.
3. Butter the bread slices and spread with jam. Arrange four slices in the dish with butter and jam side up. Sprinkle raisins over the bread and top with the remaining bread slices.
4. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until light and creamy. Whisk in the milk and vanilla; strain the cooled cream into the egg mixture and whisk to combine.
5. Pour the egg mixture over the bread; let stand for about 15 minutes.
6. Bake the pudding for 40 to 50 minutes, until set and browned on top.
7. In a small bowl, combine the crushed lavender buds and sugar; dust over the pudding. Serve pudding warm.
Click here for the original article, 8 Lovely Lavender Recipes .
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE