This sorbet is a combination of fruit puree and herbal syrup. Rose geranium has a particular affinity with strawberries and seems to intensify their flavor.
• ¾ cup sugar
• ¾ cup water
• 8 medium-sized rose geranium leaves
• 4 cups ripe strawberries, hulled and washed
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1. Bring sugar and water to a boil in a small saucepan.
2. Drop in rose geranium leaves, cover pan and remove it from heat. After 15 minutes, strain syrup, pushing down on leaves to extract flavor.
3. Puree strawberries with syrup and lemon juice in blender or food processor. Freeze in ice cream maker until slushy-firm. Scoop into storage container and freeze until firm enough to scoop.
Jerry Traunfeld, author of The Herbal Kitchen (William Morrow, 2005), received the James Beard Award for Best American Chef of the Northwest in 2000.
Click here for the original article, 5 Easy, Delicious Sorbet Recipes .
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE