Over the holidays, someone gave me a jar of Chukar Cherry Salsa, a delectable treat with peaches, jalapenos and cherries, among other wholesome ingredients–almost more a chutney than a salsa, but whatever you call it, it tastes great. Now that I've tried it and am enthusiastic about it, I'd love to thank someone. However, I can't for the life of me remember who gave it to me or sent it to me or slipped it under my door.
So if you're the one who gave me this gift, thanks a lot. If you're not, you might want to try some yourself.
Here's the recipe I made up the other night to test out the salsa. I was in the mood for French toast, but didn't want anything too sweet. So this is what I came up with–a parmesan cheese French toast with fresh herbs and Peach-Cherry Salsa.
Parmesan French Toast
• 2 large fresh eggs
• 1 or 2 tablespoons milk
• Dash of salt
• Ground pepper to taste
• 1/3 cup grated parmesan
• 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped roughly
• 4 pieces of bread, sliced in half (stale bread is just fine)
• 1 tablespoon olive oil or a few sprays of cooking spray
• 1/2 cup Chukar Cherry Salsa
1. Whisk the eggs and milk until the yolks are blended with the egg white. You want the consistency a little thick, so add the milk a little at a time.
2. Add salt and pepper, parmesan and basil. Whisk again.
3. Dip bread in egg mixture until well-coated. While it sits for just a few seconds in the egg mixture, heat the skillet with either the olive oil or cooking spray.
4. Make sure skillet is hot enough by splashing a drop of egg mixture in it. The egg should sizzle immediately.
5. Place bread slices in the skillet and cook on each side until toasty brown.
6. Take from skillet, drain briefly on a paper towel.
7. Divide on two plates, serve each with a dollop of the cherry salsa.
Now say "Yummm...."
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE