It’s that time of year again. Going back to school means late night cram sessions, unhealthy eating habits (coffee and chocolate anyone?) and mind and body exhaustion. Try these herbs to help relieve stress, accelerate energy and induce sleep.
Photo By sobriquet.net/Courtesy Flickr
Herbs for Stress
When all of the tasks start to pile up at once and it seems like you can’t get anything done, try these herbs to calm your nerves.
• Chamomile: Make a chamomile tea to calm nerves and relieve stress headaches. After, put the warm tea bags on your eyelids to relieve tired eyes.
• Lavender: Use lavender to help concentrate on a task. Sniff the dried flowers or lavender essential oil to stimulate your brain when you’re down.
• Geranium essential oil: Before going into an exam or giving a speech, sniff some geranium essential oil to relieve butterflies in your stomach.
Herbs to Accelerate Energy
Lay off the coffee and energy drinks. They may increase energy for a while, but you’ll be sure to crash after the caffeine high wears off. Try these herbs for a natural way to boost energy.
• Rosemary: Increase your energy with an invigorating bath. Combine ½ cup rosemary, and ½ cup ground almonds and 2 cups plain rolled oats in a terry cloth bag or washcloth and float in the bath.
• Thyme: Get the energizing scent of thyme by filling a spray bottle with 2 or 3 drops of thyme essential oil and a ½ cup of water and spraying it in the air. Thyme’s also delicious with meats and sauces.
Herbs to Stimulate Sleep
With a thousand different worries popping up in your mind, getting sleep can be difficult. Try these herbs to get some rest.
• Anise: Chew the seeds by themselves or add them to hot milk to make you sleepy. Also try filling a small bag with anise seeds and place it by your pillow so you can breathe in the scent.
• Linden: Brew linden flowers in a tea to induce sleep. Or find linden flower tea in health food stores.
How do you cope with the stress of school? Have any herbal tips? Leave me a comment and tell me about them.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE