Camille is a licensed aesthetician and operator of Autumn Moon Aesthetics. Her holistic skin care practice incorporates natural, handmade products, herbal therapy, aromatherapy and energetic bodywork. She encourages individuals to become more connected to their body and the Earth by creating natural products themselves at home. Visit her blog at www.skincareforyoursoul.blogspot.com .
Summertime is in full swing and so is “Camp Mom.” Each day has been an adventure full of outdoor fun, trips to the beach and countless arts and crafts.
Handmade lip balms are an easy and fun craft for kids.
I helped my daughters create this lip balm during one of our “Mom, I’m bored” moments. It is very moisturizing and has a subtly sweet flavor reminiscent of an orange creamsicle pop. The simple ingredients are easy for little hands to measure and in just a few moments, you will have a tasty lip balm that celebrates summer!
Calendula-infused lip balms gently soothe little one’s dry summer lips.
You can package the lip balm in any small, clean container you may have on hand. We packaged ours in super-sweet, retro slide tin containers. Kids can even personalize their container with stickers for even more fun!
A few simple ingredients can create a tasty, moisturizing lip balm.
Creamsicle Lip Balm
• 2 tablespoons sweet almond oil (We used homemade calendula infused oil for extra soothing properties.)
• 2 teaspoons beeswax
• 6 drops sweet orange essential oil
• 1 to 2 drops vanilla absolute oil
• A large pinch of powdered stevia (optional, but it provides a bit of sweetness)
1. Measure oil, beeswax and stevia (if using) and place in a small glass bowl.
2. Gently heat in a strainer suspended in a pot of hot water on low to medium heat, stirring constantly. (Adults will need to help younger kids with this step.)
Stir ingredients thoroughly until melted.
3. Once the beeswax and stevia are incorporated into the oil, remove from the stovetop and quickly stir in the essential oils.
Pour your lip balm into a clean, small container.
Photos by Camille Leinbach
4. Immediately pour the mixture into a small glass jar or other container.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE