Turmeric is a key ingredient in this Javanese recipe. Lulur is Javanese for “coating the skin.” It is a beauty ritual that leaves the body and mind relaxed and the skin soft and supple. This total beauty treatment involves a light massage, body mask and fragrant floral bath. Makes 10 ounces (1 treatment).
• 2 tablespoons rice powder
• 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
• 2 cups plain yogurt
• 3 drops jasmine essential oil
• 2 drops sandalwood essential oil
• 2 to 4 ounces light oil (such as almond, avocado or macadamia nut)
• Handful fragrant flowers, like rose, jasmine, frangipani or lavender
1. Mix rice powder, turmeric, yogurt and essential oils until well blended and set aside.
2. To use: Massage favorite light oil all over body. Gently rub the yogurt mixture onto body to exfoliate and polish skin. Rinse under a warm shower. Float flowers in a warm bath.Relax in the warm, fragrant water.
Janice Cox and her daughter, Lauren Cox, recently co-authored a book, EcoBeauty: Scrubs, Rubs, Masks, and Bath Bombs for You and Your Friends (Ten Speed Press, 2009). Find it at www.herbcompanion.com/shopping or order by phone.
Click here for the main article, Body & Soul: Exotic Spa Treatments .
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE